When it comes to major industries like the medical industry, electronic industry, industrial industry, food industry and a lot of other major industries, nitrile gloves is widely used. This is because of the many advantages of this type of gloves compared to the latex gloves most people are familiar with. Compared to latex gloves, nitrile gloves are more durable and easier to slide on and off. In other words, it is more convenient to wear. Plus, nitrile gloves is also safer and friendlier to the skin than latex which means that you are less likely to get allergies when you wear this type of gloves.
When it comes to dexterity, nitrile gloves are also more reliable than latex gloves. This is because they are not as bulky as latex gloves so the gloves really fit the entire hands and the fingers. This is why when you wear this type of gloves; it is easier for you to feel your fingers than when you wear the bulky rubber gloves. This makes it easier for you to hold things and perform your tasks comfortably.[toc]
However, do you have any idea why nitrile gloves are capable of offering these advantages? How are nitrile gloves made that they have such better abilities than latex gloves?
Getting to know how nitrile gloves are made will help you know better and understand why this glove is better than latex gloves. It will also help you appreciate these gloves more and help you decide to buy or not to buy these gloves for whatever industry you currently belong to.
The two major components that make up nitrile gloves
1. SYNTHETIC LATEX/NITRILE RUBBER. Synthetic latex means that it is not natural rubber but a rubber crafted by men with the use of certain chemicals. This is the main component of nitrile gloves. Synthetic latex is composed of two materials such as acrylonitrile, which comes from hydrogen cyanide and ethylene oxide as well as butiadiene, which comes from ethyl alchol.
These materials are known as copolymers once they are combined which is why synthetic latex is known as copolymers of the said materials. Manufacturing synthetic latex is quite a lot of work and does not merely involve combining these two materials. Rather, once these two materials have been combined, they are made to go through filtering process wherein they are made to pass filters so that all possible solids that are still left in the mix can be eliminated.
After that, stabilization process is next and this is done by blending the mix with an antioxidant material. Then, the material is then solidified by adding coagulating agents. After being washed and dried, it is not yet the end of it. This process only produces crumb rubber and it is not yet the final form of nitrile rubber. It is still to be liquefied in order to produce the final nitrile rubber. Once nitrile rubber is made, the following characteristics are expected:
- Durable. This nitrile rubber can withstand frequent wear and tear and even if scratched by sharp objects, it does not easily tear apart.
- Resistance to temperature and chemicals. The nitrile rubber can withstand whatever temperature it is exposed to. You would also notice that this rubber is resistant to chemicals, oil, and other elements that could harm the skin.
- Latex protein-free. As mentioned, this nitrile rubber is synthetic rubber. It is not real rubber so it does not contain latex proteins. Latex protein is a component found in most latex materials and while latex materials are also heavy duty materials, the fact that they contain latex protein makes these materials the cause of latex allergies. Since synthetic latex has no latex protein, even if a person is exposed to this type of material, he or she won’t get latex allergy. The most common latex allergic reactions are skin rashes, dry and flaky skin, eczema, sores, itching and burning of the skin, etc.
With this, this major component of nitrile gloves is the reason why nitrile gloves is: very durable, highly resistant to temperatures as well as chemicals that it is effective in protecting your hands and your skin; as well as keeping your hands safe from latex allergies.
2. POWDER/CORNSTARCH. There are actually two types of nitrile gloves available: the powdered nitrile gloves and the powder-free nitrile gloves. Obviously, the powdered gloves contain either talc powder or cornstarch and the powder-free contains no powder. Powder is also considered one main component of nitrile gloves because of the advantages it gives to the users of the gloves.
First and foremost, the primary purpose and reason why powder such as talc or cornstarch is applied to nitrile gloves is to make it even easier to slide on and off from the hands. This way, you do not need to keep a donning powder near you every time you use the gloves. The only problem with powdered nitrile gloves is the fact that they can cause allergic reactions. Talc can cause medical complications and cornstarch can cause allergies such as dry and flaky skin. However, this is a rare occurrence so powdered gloves are still preferred.
On the other hand, there are also the powder-free nitrile gloves. They are the basic types of nitrile gloves. This may not slide on and off as easy as the one with the powder component but it is guaranteed free from elements that could cause allergies and medical complications.
With this, because of this second component of nitrile gloves, this type of gloves is known to be very easy and comfortable to use. Even if the powdered gloves may have allergy issues, you still have the option to choose the powdered-free one.
Nitrile gloves are truly made to provide your hands with comfort and protection as well as provide you with an easier mans to accomplish your tasks with ease. The manufacture of nitrile gloves involves a complex process in order to create the synthetic rubber but at least now you know the reason why nitrile gloves are special types of gloves fit for any industry.
Related Products From Amazon.com